Paint Box

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Studio: 22nd June

Back in the studio for a hardcore weekend of painting - I'm very aware of the time ticking away from the deadline but I can't rush the painting process so I am expanding my surfaces to allow for drying and thinking time. I have decided to work slightly more aggressively on my paintings to change the mood to something more sinister, and to incorporate different marks including using a palette knife.

Whole image - contrast is more obvious, there are areas (like bottom of legs) which are awaiting glazing but I quite like how the background is starting to fill out an become more alive.

Detail of palette knife work in background. Think this is too contrasting but I'm enjoying the range of marks.

Detail of glazing on water and powder pigment used to create a different texture. Trying to suggest reflection...

Whole view showing change in colour - much more tonal, a huge change from previous more primary colour based pieces

Detail added into landscape using chisel brush and palette knife to add more dense areas to create depth

Experimenting with overlaying thicker areas of paint over the stream to try and bring the foreground forward and create depth in the water

Studio revamped for Summer:)


Drawings for my box which is just another surface to work on; just some example of what I have been recording, more to come later...
Exploration of hybrid/shape shifting - awkward composition due to angles and figures don't interact'

Inspired by Leda and the Swan - like the way swan is preying, aggressive and balanced precariously on wobbling egg

Again facing in different directions. Think the gaze over the shoulder (left) works really well. Limited colour palette also works for harmony throughout.


Hybrid siren - a bit too mermaid like but sinuous curling body has something uncomfortable about it which may be worth taking forward.

6 small canvases with backgrounds ready to draw into as another surface.
Reflection

I'm very excited at the most recent studio developments. I seem to have successfully effected the mood of the paintings to suggest something more sinister or dark. This is important to emphasize the sense of unease and darker narrative.  It was fantastic to get some more drawings generated as I have realised that I sometimes reflect that I must explore an idea, but sometimes don't get round to it. I produced 10 in total in this studio session and having a quick way of visually recording ideas is really useful to collate a collection of images in the same way I might have done previously with magazine clippings. This process has enabled me to quickly identify aspects which work and those that don't. 
I am still actively reading but am aware that this is not necessarily evident in  my blog although my work is clearly grounded in theory. There are certain features which are emerging in my most current work which need acknowledging at this point...

Water
Water is reflective, fluid and moving. It represents nurture and survival as well as threat and danger. It references the mirror and narcissus. It belongs in open space but can also suffocate.

Conflict and contrast
In colour, materials and figure. Exploring opposites and binary, relativity and difference. Light and dark with a suggestion of shadow.

A curve leading away
This is a compositional decision to lead the viewer's eye through the picture scape but also references the feminine. Chronology and cycles disrupted as the curve disappears. Distance and pathways leading out of the image and into another imaginary space.

Birds and eggs
Hatching, rebirth, falling and flight. Linked to Marina Warner's ideas of hatching and splitting. Mythological references and anthropomorphism. 

Houses, structures and shells
Protection and movement. Transience and an acknowledgement of danger. Hard and soft. Shape shifting ability and a sense of home or nomadic status. Deceptive symbols of comfort but awkward and heavy.

Natural environment
Environment can become an additional character - looming, threatening, crowding. Personification of inanimate objects. Impact on scale of the figures.

One Month Reflection
There were 3 key things which I need to refer to from my previous reflection. It was invigorating to allow myself to go back to drawing to keep ideas flowing - I don't know why I didn't give myself time and space to do this before but I have adapted my studio time to devote a little time in every session for working on a smaller scale. I am also really involved in researching drawing techniques and using these to generate ideas for future work. I don't want to forget ideas or devalue the drawings I make, so will collect them and revisit them as my work develops. Cat and I have now started our drawing dialogue project which is helping to loosen my drawing up - although this is not directly linked to this body of work - it joins as part of my exploratory journey. I am also thinking about 'drawingness' in my work - that's as far as I have got at the moment but it is there, waiting for an opportunity to emerge.
There has been an overwhelmingly positive response to my menacing dark tones, and I have at this point achieved what I consider to be a beautiful paint surface in one piece which compliments rather than compromises the concept.
The notes I made on features in my work were really useful when I have recently been talking about my work. This is a strategy which I need to continue to use and revisit as it clearly articulates my ideas and vision and justifies decisions. I am interested in rolling some of these out as motifs to link pieces together, referencing anti-chronology as well as implying a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment