Paint Box

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Group Reflection

Interviewing and being interviewed in groups, 22nd July 2013.
Eleanor's notes on my responses:

1. Did the Reflective Practice unit go as planned, or were there unexpected developments?


Still half way through the unit. Didn't plan except for the reflective strategy. No concrete idea to start, but honed in on certain aspects such as colour.


2. Have you discovered new aspects to your art practice?
Yes. Realised things. Had to let go something previously thought ok. Thin layers now towards gestural painting. Still like the initial MA painting, and retaining the translucency, but have let go of the aesthetic for the sake of the idea. Something of a revelation.



3. Have you reinforced and recognised aspects of how you work?


Still using similar techniques of drawing, painting and photography, but monthly reflection gives more revelation of the idea coming through, rather than more immediate reflection which tends towards technical skill.


4. How has your work and practice developed since the beginning of the MA?


Hugely. In the way I think. Physical appearance completely changed - more factors. Was simple and easy, now complex, coded and multi dimensional. Still looks like my work, but polarised. Investigating the journey from there to here.


5. What ideas/artists inform your work?


Reading Marina Warner - Metamorphoses - hatching, splitting. the constructed narrative. Anti chronology - a series and what characters and scenes the viewer encounters. Still lusting after Peter Doig's paintings. Also Paula Rego, but more the process of making in the studio, the history and performance behind works. Want to keep away from the fairy tale and be more menace-like. Setting up a power struggle or dialogue.


6. Do you think there are other media and genres you could work in?


Not moving away from the idea of narrative - it strings everything together. Have used video still for movement in painting. Would like to do more printmaking for graphic qualities, also for series and replicas. Would like to make objects, creatures, animal heads, not as sculptures really but more as props.


7. How would you describe yourself as an artist?

Prolific. Slow.


8. What advice would you give to a much younger you?

All the decisions you make now will work out, so have confidence in your own confidence.


Reflection
Eleanor commented on my new found ability to express my ideas - 'I could talk to anyone about my work'. This is a fantastic revelation for me, and confirmed by E,  and we were talking about our one-to-one crit from a year ago where she commented that I couldn't even say basic things about my practice. I was pretty gutted about this at the time, although I knew it was true, and this year have been on a mission to develop my vocabulary, articulate my ideas and prioritize the ideas over the making. When I write about my experience of this unit, some of the observations made about my journey by others must be included as they have helped me to recognize and confirm how I have rerouted my practice and rearranged my thinking.  The dialogue and interview process was really comfortable and we reflected on how much the group had matured and how we are useful critical companions in this process.

One Month Reflection
This conversation really gave me confidence and fueled some of my reflective review. I have had a few comments about showing the journey, and spend quite a lot of my time evidencing the progress that I have made which is difficult when working on a small number of sustained works. However, having someone from the group recognize and reflect on the progress highlighted just how far I have come:) It also showed how committed and determined I had been in trying to change my practice and ingrained behaviours, the impact of which is now becoming clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment