Paint Box

Monday 8 April 2013

Collected Thoughts

I am finding it quite difficult to focus my ideas in this unit so far. I think this is probably because I know I am working in a short time scale and wanting a rich collection of references in my work can make my investigation very broad. This is how it should be - the narrative should be implied, ambiguous, interwoven, tenuous and shifting, but perhaps not from my viewpoint as the maker. I am also aware that I shouldn't be making assumptions about how the work is going to develop and I need to build in time and allow it to grow and emerge. Using a note taking strategy, I am pooling ideas to prioritize some areas and to remind myself of certain themes which continue to be relevant but perhaps less conspicuous. Most of these notes were written in random places on the backs of receipts, so here I bring them together into a flow of consciousness.

I want to address:
Fluidity
Linking series, narrative but also broken
Floating houses, transience, carrying home
Transition
Staging, theatrical, sets (flats)
Animal, unicorn - shape shifting, egg laying reptiles and amphibians
Floating, falling - birds
Deflated balloon house
Tree houses, 
Hybrid, animal behaviour, movement, power struggle, aggression, peril, potential
Animal masks or hats
Crawling, 3 figure, dual character
Wes Anderson colour palette
Observational, building anecdotal histories for characters
Foreground, background, continuous, areas of focus, not blocks of colour but creating space
Interchangeable order, time travel, anti chronology
Growing, shrinking
Puppetry
The Terrible Infants, 'Up', Psyche and her evil twin, Matthew Bourne, Pink vid

Warner: Fantastic Metamorphoses, Other Worlds (notes from intro)
Natural magic
Transformation - suprise
Rule breaking
Recognition - double take
Metamorphic processes
Attraction to Other (in this case cultural)
Hybrid mystagogue
Alter Ego
Nectanebo
Bosch
Shapeshifting
Taxidermy
Logic of the imaginary
Egg-laying reptiles, ambiguous, spawning, shape-changing amphibians
Butterflies - metamorphosis
Skin shedding
Multi personality
Kafka - coccoon
Body hopping/body squatting
Talisman
The Divine Comedy,OVID
Levitation
Magic
Cicada
Leda and the swan.
Zeus - polymorphous, uses to seduce, trickery
Metamorphosis comes from places, times which are at a crossroads, transitional places (must define) http://www.ithellcolquhoun.co.uk/2249/
Doppelganger
Lewis Carrol photography
Shamanic displacement
Time travel, shrink, grow





One Month Reflection I believe that this may be the beginnings of an artist statement or manifesto for my intentions and making practice. As always, I am divided by a practical and conceptual investigation; of course the two go hand in hand but there is always a lag between practical work development and conceptual ideas which seem to circulate around, flow away and return again in an evolved version. However, I think I need to print these lists and display them in my studio as a constant reference point so I don't lose any of the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment