Paint Box

Sunday 10 March 2013

Collecting Imagery

One of the priorities for me during this project is to collect a bank of images to work with for painting compositions. These will come from a number of different sources but I hope to maximize the use of my own photography. I am also collecting secondary source images using Pinterest http://pinterest.com/alexacoxstudio/ 
Today I took some footage and stills of small children being 'active' - there are a huge number of photos but I am publishing three examples to give a sense of what I am exploring.






Reflection
I wanted to use continuous shoot and film so I could gather evidence of movement and transition (this could contribute to a sense of ambiguity). I am reviewing the images now and unexpectedly the images taken from video (via print screen) are generally clearer than those from continuous shoot (maybe 1 from every 5 is in focus). On reflection I should have adapted the shutter speed so it was the shortest possible to minimize blurring, although the movements were very fast so this may not have eliminated this problem. The freeze frames where the girls are falling from a jump, or turning seem to be the least deliberate which I like; also when there is a sense of travel or interaction between two of them (for example at one point the eldest pushed another to the side, catching her off balance). I hope that this will be the first in a series of 'image grabs' where I can capture digital imagery which I can develop through collage, drawing and eventually into paint.

One month reflection 
Looking back at these images now, they gave me a really good boost when I needed imagery. I have subsequently taken more photos using sports mode and in much better light conditions (a changing season variable) which has sharpened the images, making them easier to work from and with. I have used what I found out from this shoot to structure pairings and trios in drawings which is helping to build dialogue within the images. I still feel the sense of imbalance in the photos works well to suggest something uneasy or unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment