Paint Box

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Studio: 20th April

I am still feeling that I am exploring ideas through photography and drawing which is highly important at this stage in the project. However, I am really keen to get going on some painting having  made a whole wallop new canvases. I also have in the back of my mind that it takes me a really long time to 'finish' my work so I have my eye on the September deadline. Clearly I still have several months left it I want to get this stage right, to collect source material which is good quality, to carefully plot my intentions and compositions and to allow my work to develop to a point where the length of the painting process doesn't hinder the progression of my ideas.
I have been making some mock up compositions on iPad using brushes...these are to crudely exploring composition by bringing together different elements in a range of environments. From these I have created a series of drawings looking at composition and colour.

First session of drawing construction - based on ipad cobble with transplanted legs
Adapted drawing with ink - moved the house to more of a diagonal and tried to map out where the edges and areas of shadow might be

Forcing the foreground figure to the edge of the composition to create a more awkward series of diagonals throughout the image
3 squares experimenting with using colour - quite like how gestural this drawing is, potential for a brooding sky perhaps
Studio wall for painting inspiration - combined size approx. 4x4ft

Reflection
It is usual for me to use drawing in this way as I tend to work digitally to create collages or physically join images together. I found this process useful for a couple of reasons; I was able to deconstruct and build onto my drawings so the original dimensions of the paper didn't define the final size of the composition; and I had to re-train myself to draw - the drawn line takes a greater commitment than digital manipulation where you can quickly adjust whole figures. It also allowed me to quickly explore tone, shadow and how colour could be distributed roughly to create foreground and background. I know that quite quickly I need to gain some more photographic source material so I can use these in my work - the images need to be spontaneous and compliment the nature of these drawings. I really feel that I have made progress in my work and moved from a 'bad' place to a stage of greater confidence, structure and flow:)

One Month Reflection
Having now taken more photos, I feel in a position to go back to drawing to develop more compositions for painting. There is an element of waiting involved; I am trying to judge when is best to plan and begin larger scale paintings. At this stage (to allow for drying times), I can begin to make more drawings which I can select from at a later date to make into bigger work. In the back of my mind, the MA show is lurking; I am not making decisions about the work I will make but now is a opportune time to generate lots of possibilities from which I can select and develop finished work. Looking back at this post, this was quite a turning point for me as I could see the potential and movement in my ideas and how my research was coming into fruition. These pieces are still displayed in my studio and are still providing a reference point for my original colour intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment