Paint Box

Monday 25 February 2013

Metamorphosis


I found this image of a student production of Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' (Steven Berkoff's adaptation) - years ago(!) I studied Berkoff/Kafka's The Trial through physical theatre and this seems to link very well with shape shifting, ambiguity and narrative. It reminded me of Rego's Dog Women where the figures take on animal characteristics. The position is tense and awkward, her figure contorted to fit inside the frame.
One of my students drew my attention to the artist Philipa Jeffery who disguises herself with a sheep's head for performance pieces. The images remind me of the props Rego makes in her studio which then become characters in her paintings. It may be too literal a mask but I like the sense of using a different persona to explore movement or manipulate encounters.


No comments:

Post a Comment